Technical Design Manager – Estates
- £60,127 (Minimum) / £68,810 (Maximum)
- Leeds, Nottingham or Newcastle with travel to various locations
This position is now closed to applications.
The Government Hubs Phase 1 project is an exciting Transformation Programme that will contribute to building a tax authority fit for the 21st century. The HMRC Building Our Future Locations (BoFL) Programme is one strand of a wider business transformation strategy which affects all parts of HMRC including digitisation, policy, processes and ways of working. HMRC’s plans are very ambitious and the transformation of its estate is considered to be the largest real estate change programme of its type in the UK at this time and is at the leading edge of wider transformation of central government accommodation nationwide offering many exciting opportunities to all those involved. Working with the Government Property Agency, the Programme encompasses office provision and design for other Government Departments in shared locations.
Our vision is to:
• Improve customer service and reduce the cost burden on the taxpayer
• Build fit for purpose workspaces that maximise efficiency, innovation and technology
• Create great places to work that attract and retain staff
The success of this programme will not only deliver substantial savings but also improve the quality of service that HMRC provide. This is indeed a unique opportunity to help create a lasting legacy for all those who work within HMRC.
You will play a substantial role in the programme to deliver the transformation. Our ambitious plan is already underway, with signed deals to secure over 250,000 m2 of new accommodation. Our first completed development has received recognition as a BCO award finalist, but there remains a substantial task ahead to build on this achievement. As a key member of the delivery team your contribution to the BoFL Programme is essential and will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference, be the best that you can be and help create a legacy.
The Technical Design Manager supports the Deputy Director of Construction & Fit Out in leading the team and delivering the ‘intelligent client’ for technical building and MEP design function. Accountable for providing expert advice and delivering design solutions that are innovative, customer focused and deliver value for money. This role is accountable to the Programme Project Board, Estates Executive Board, and the Hubs Workstream Board.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Previous knowledge or practical experience of a key role working on large projects or programmes.
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary project teams and building strong relationships across team/business area/ departmental/ boundaries
- Experience of effective governance controls in a complex business environment
- Ability to manage effective relationships with senior/high influence stakeholders. Evidence of effective team engagement and leadership.
- A demonstrable track record of success in Design Management in a consultancy or client organisation at a senior level.
- A highly commercial outlook with high degree of focus on enhancing and delivering value and continuous improvement.
- A thorough understanding of technical design management methods and delivery of comprehensive reporting to senior management boards and influential stakeholders.
- A thorough understanding of BREEAM, WELL buildings and sustainability.
- Clear understanding of construction H&S legislative requirements and ability to promote high standards.
- Excellent knowledge of construction designs, materials, technologies or processes and able to assess a variety of options and propose viable solutions
You will be degree qualified in an appropriate discipline, or possess an equivalent qualification in a design, services or construction related discipline.
In addition it is desirable that you will be a recognised professional PPM with a change management qualification, or have equivalent proven practical experience i.e.
• PRINCE2 Practitioner
• Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) Practitioner
• APM Practitioner Qualification (APMPQ)
The candidate pack will provide a breakdown of the specific roles/responsibilities for the Technical Design Manager (Grade 6) role.
For more information on this opportunity and how to apply, please visit www.aspenpeople.co.uk/HMRC.
For a confidential discussion please contact our recruitment partners Ray Williamson or Mike Orr at Aspen People on 0141 212 7555.
You can also find out further information about HM Revenue and Customs on our website – www.gov.uk/HMRC
You will also find information about the role on Facebook – facebook.com/Aspen People, Twitter – @Aspenpeople and LinkedIn – linkedin.com/aspenpeople/hm-revenue-&-customs
Closing date: Monday 2nd July 2018
Interviews: w/c 9th July 2018
To apply, please complete the short form below and attach your CV, cover letter and equal opportunity monitoring form. If you do not receive an automatic acknowledgement please contact Melissa Scholes on 0141 212 7555.