Director of Marketing, Digital & Communications
- at a level to attract high calibre candidates
This position is now closed to applications.
SRUC is a unique organisation founded on world class and sector-leading research, education and consultancy. As a Higher Education Institution, they have specialist expertise in Education and Research and offer unrivalled links with industry through their Agricultural Business Consultants.
SRUC’s principal purpose is to advance education, science, research and environmental protection and improvement in the rural and land-based industries, both domestically and internationally. The commercial consultancy, skills training and research activities are undertaken through SAC Commercial Limited.
SRUC employs approximately 1,300 staff operating from 6 campuses, 8 farms, 25 consulting offices, 6 research centres and 8 veterinary surveillance centres located primarily across Scotland.
SRUC wishes to appoint an outstanding leader to the position of Director of Marketing, Digital & Communications to develop a ‘step-change’ strategic approach to marketing (leading a full digital marketing systems approach), student recruitment and communications. The Director of Marketing, Digital & Communications is a new role and will be a key member of the Executive Leadership Team, reporting directly to the Principal & CEO.
As the founding Director, you will integrate, harmonise, streamline and develop marketing and communications strategies and services, which are currently spread across the organisation. The Director must have the strategic vision to maximise the opportunities and potential synergies presented by the creation of this new integrated service team and deliver value-add marketing and communications services across SRUC.
This is a challenging role for a highly creative individual who will bring flair and innovation to the role. SRUC has an exciting and ambitious strategy which will transform the organisation over the next three years. You will help deliver on this vision, using it as the basis of your work within a highly competitive market, through effective marketing and communication and strong reputation management, to create and deliver a vibrant and cohesive brand and image for SRUC in line with their new strategy.
The post holder will be accountable for the following functions:
- Marketing and brand management
- Digital marketing & communication systems
- Communications- internal and external
- Digital services (including website and intranet)
- Student recruitment
- Stakeholder engagement
- Alumni relations and fundraising
- Events management
A core element of this role will be providing strategic and operational direction in shaping and developing a strategic, value-add integrated service delivery model.
- In collaboration with colleagues on the Executive Leadership Team to provide strong and effective leadership across the functions to ensure alignment and complementarity of purpose and activity between them and effective delivery against strategic and operational targets
- Development of new digital marketing platforms and analytical insight capacity to refine strategic decision-making
- Expand the visibility of SRUC through development of multiple contemporary and innovative methods of communicating and showcasing accomplishments.
- Creation, implementation and communication of an overarching marketing and communications strategy
- Create and develop a new digital marketing campaign for SRUC and lead on a strategic digital approach
- Develop a coherent social media strategy
- To increase the strategic reach and profile of SRUC’s brand and reputation with key audiences, utilising the full breadth of marketing and communication channels, including digital marketing leadership, social media and cross-channel campaigns
- Engaging stakeholders in developments across commercial and research work
- Build and develop SRUC’s global reputation and profile with funders, businesses, government, opinion formers and the general public, focussing on key strengths and in line with vision and strategy.
- Development of multi-channel communication platforms, e.g. print, media, digital etc.
- New marketing insight and intelligence capability
- Establish clear priorities for marketing initiatives aligned to performance metrics
- Devise and implement effective marketing strategies and campaigns that result in growth in applications and student numbers, including higher applicant conversion rates and demonstrable delivery on priority market segment targets, e.g. RUK and international students
- Developing sustainable and effective alumni relations and enhancing SRUC’s capacity to draw on alumni for support
- Strategic development of an integrated CRM system
- Focus on SRUC’s strategic priority of delivering a step change in its recruitment of students, including RUK markets
- Taking a strategic and proactive approach to managing relationships with the media
- Overseeing key events and public engagement activities
For a full overview of the role, please download the following document:
To apply, please complete the short form below and upload your CV, covering letter and equal opportunities form (which can be downloaded by clicking here).
You will receive an email acknowledgement of your application within 24 hours. If you do not receive this please contact Kelsey Sinclair on 0141 212 7555 to ensure it has been received.
All applications must include the following:
- A full CV with your education and professional qualifications and full employment history, where possible giving details of budgets and numbers of people managed, relevant achievements in recent posts.
- A short covering letter of no more than two A4 sized pages explaining why this appointment interests you and how you meet the appointment criteria and key competencies as detailed in the candidate brief.
- Current remuneration and contractual notice period.
- Names of at least three referees. Please note, referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
- Please provide day-time, evening and mobile telephone numbers, together with an appropriate, confidential and acceptable e-mail address for all correspondence relating to your application.
Should you wish to have an informal, confidential discussion about the post, please contact: Donogh O’Brien or Liam Kelly at on 0141 212 7555.
The closing date for all applications is noon on 17 May 2018.
Candidates selected for interview will be individually informed in writing. Interviews will be conducted on 25 June 2018 in Edinburgh. Candidates may be asked to prepare a short presentation as part of this process.
If you are aware that you are unable to attend for interview on the above date, please inform us at the earliest possible opportunity.