Associate Director of HR
8D £88,385 – £92,424 per annum
Flexible Location: Based throughout Scotland, NES is a remote friendly employer supporting office, remote and hybrid working. We’re happy to talk about how you want to work.
The role of the Workforce Directorate is wide-ranging and exciting. We not only enable NES to attract, recruit, support, train, develop, reward and recognise its own workforce, but also play a significant role in employing doctors and dentists in training across Scotland. Furthermore, we support recruitment of medical and dental trainees and other vocational groups for the whole of Scotland’s health sector. We support the management of change, providing organisational consultancy. We also play an active part in the organisation’s commitment to fulfilling its Equality and Diversity responsibilities, not just to its own staff but throughout all the activities of the organisation.
Nationally the Workforce Directorate acts as key strategic partner to Scottish Government in the delivery of national Talent, Leadership and Management, Learning & Development ambitions. We also provide information, advice, educational solutions and support to the wider NHS through links with Territorial Boards and the Scottish Government.
As a senior member of the Workforce Directorate within NHS Education for Scotland (NES), the Associate Director of HR is responsible for leading the HR function within NES to contribute to the development and delivery of the NES Strategic Framework and operational plans; and for developing and implementing people strategies to support the delivery of these plans.
The HR function includes – Trainee Services and lead employer, HR Business Support, Workforce Infrastructure and systems and Equality and Diversity & Human Rights.
The responsibilities of the Associate Director (HR) include:
- Providing senior professional HR and employment law expertise, strategic vision, and leadership to the HR function to develop, shape, drive and support all aspects of the Workforce, People and Organisational Strategies.
- Working in partnership to develop and deliver the NES People and Organisational Development Strategy and 3-year Strategic Workforce Plan, underpinned by an aligned set of strategies, policies and interventions to ensure the delivery of the NES Strategic and facilitate delivery of the national Health and Care Workforce Strategy.
- Interpreting Once for Scotland policies and Scottish Government directives related to the HR functions scope, ensuring their understanding and implementation within NES.
- Leading the development and implementation, in partnership, of local NES people policies and processes relevant to the HR functions remit.
- Leading day to day delivery of services to NES staff and line managers, for example, in relation to recruitment and selection; onboarding; organisational design and change; organisational working arrangements; workforce planning and development; establishment control; employee relations; equality, diversity and inclusion; employee well-being; employee data ad analytics; partnership working; Board, Staff Governance Committee, Remuneration Committee and Partnership Forum assurance.
- With the Workforce Management Team contributing to the development and implementation of strategies, policies and processes that enable the development of an organisational culture that engages, energises and enables all staff to give of their best, achieve their potential and live the NHSScotland values, NES ways of working and leadership behaviours.
- Leadership and management of the Equality, Diversity & Human Rights team in NES to deliver a wide range of internal and external services to NES as well as developing and reporting on the organisations equality outcomes and plans in accordance with its statutory responsibilities.
- Management of comprehensive and robust staff governance reporting and workforce data and information systems within NES to ensure accurate and timely reporting, including to the Staff Governance Committee, to the board and Scottish Government on NES workforce, including DDiTs.
- Mitigating employment risk to the organisation through the interpretation of relevant legislation and robust application of policy and processes across the HR function.
- Supporting the UK wide shared services in relation to the assessment, recruitment, and pre-employment processing for application to trainee posts in medicine and dentistry; and on a Scotland wide basis for application to training posts in Pharmacy, and Healthcare Science. Inclusive of managing all Disclosure Scotland checks and acting as Tier 2 Visa sponsor for all Doctors and Dentists in Training
- Providing national programme management to the delivery of Lead Employer arrangements geared to achieving an efficient, high quality employment experience for doctors and dentists in training across Scotland. In addition, to manage all employment aspects relating to those doctors and dentists directly employed by NES.
- Developing, embedding and reporting on all employee relations related risks across NES.
- Managing the process to develop, monitor and report on the in the HR functions annual budget.
- Managing the processes to develop, monitor and report on the HR functions annual operating plan.
- As an Extended Executive Team member within NES to fully contributing to and participating in the governance, strategic development, and corporate management of NES.
- Providing senior professional leadership, expertise, innovation, and advice to the Extended Executive Team.
- Ensuring excellent partnership working in NES.
- Ensuring NES operates in accordance with relevant employment related statutory requirements.
- Leading the annual completion of the Staff Governance Monitoring processes.
- Supporting the Director of Workforce to ensure that the Chairs of the Staff Governance Committee, Partnership Forum and Remuneration Committee are provided with adequate information to discharge the responsibilities set out in their remits.
- Ensuring adequate resourcing and development of a sustainable HR function and operating model through operational and workforce planning.
- To Deputise for the Director of Workforce as required.